Friday 21 March 2008

Tilt is -EV?

I am pretty burned out this month, played a lot of hands, especially towards the start of the month and I think that it has had quite a big impact on my game. I have been pretty much breakeven for the last 15K hands and I can't just say 'varience', there are some clear leaks in my game. I have been playing between 4 to 5 tables and am playing for longer and longer sessions. Often I find myself getting frustrated after about 2 hours because I am not up very much and then I start to loose concentration on the game and tilt. Tilt comes in a variety of flavours, and tiredness + frustration produces a very potent but subtle form.

I am well on track to qualify for 'Ironman silver' this month and so I am going to try to take the rest of the month easy. I am going to take a few days off playing this weekend and try to watch some more deuces cracked vids as well as posting on the 2+2 forum.

Last night I played in a $10+1 tourney on Full Tilt just to mix it up a bit and ended up coming 21st out of about 290 when I lost a race with AJ vs 66. I think I played well during the tournament and managed to do well despite being very card dead (66 was my highest PP and AQ my highest non paired hand in 3 hours) as well as running 55 and A3 into AA when I shoved the BTN vs the blinds, I lost both hands but luckily was up against smaller stacks. After the first hour my stack never got above 15BBs so I was shortstacked for almost the entire tourney but I managed to hold on and I was just unlucky not to win the 50/50 at the crucial time and therefore busted in 21st for a disappointing $16. I think that my biggest leak was playing too tight on the bubble, where I think I should be shoving any 2 when folded to me OTB, because I need to build a decent stack.... but I intend to play a few more small buyin tourneys this month so will see how it goes.

Decided to play a 1 hour session today 2 tabling so I could really concentrate on my game. I opened up a bunch of tables and picked the best 2. I have to say.... by playing 2 tables and really concentrating on every hand, I think I produced some of the best poker I have ever played. Maybe I was just running well, but I planned every hand and thought carefully about each decision and not once did I find myself in a tough spot with no idea what to do. I think that cutting down to just a couple of tables is really beneficial and I am going to try to do it once a week or so to try to improve my game.

Will try to post regularly over the next few weeks. Until then......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why would you want to 4 or 5 tabling when you play your best game with 2 tables?